Sunday, October 11, 2020

Member Report: Emerald Ash Borer Damage

 Certified Master Naturalist, Dottie Haley, submitted this report on how to identify Emerald Ash Borer damage in Ash trees. 


Ash Trees Under Siege

 

In 2010, as a newly certified VMN, the first webinar I ever watched was continuing education on the invasive Emerald Ash Borer (EAB).  I was enthused about this novel concept of being able to earn continuing education hours while in my pajamas.  I have been so thankful in 2020 that the Master Naturalists have ramped up the availability of similar webinars to allow us to learn even as we have had to isolate.  Thank you, Michelle, and the VMN leaders responsible!

EAB are invasive originally from Russia, China, Japan, and Korea. In 2002, the first infestations in the US were found near Detroit, Michigan, and traveled to Maryland and northern Virginia in infested nursery trees. Although I had not really thought about the EAB since that webinar, I remembered what I had learned and put the information to use this year as I investigated the demise of several ash trees on my property. 

I had Maple trees a couple of years ago that I thought were dying.  They were shedding leaves during the summer and the leaves that fell were covered in black spots.  I called the Extension Service and they informed me that it was just a disease that was prevalent that particular year but the tree was probably ok.  I made the call to the Extension Service again hoping for a similar diagnosis of my Ash trees.  Unfortunately, they quickly informed me that the EAB is prevalent in our area and that they are “decimating” the Ash trees in our state. 

If you have Ash trees on your property, look for these signs:



Canopy damage – leaves and limbs in the canopy of the tree begin to die. 

Photo by Dottie Haley

Woodpecker damage – I had seen a large pileated woodpecker chiseling away large pieces of bark to access  the treasure underneath.  The lighter areas seen on the trunk below are where the bark has been knocked away.  

Photo by Dottie Haley

S-shaped channels underneath the bark – I used a hammer and chisel to chip away some bark to see what was underneath.  Unfortunately, I found the channels that confirm EAB.


Photo by Dottie Haley

It takes from 1 to 4 years for the EAB to kill a tree depending on the size of the tree.  I plan to try and treat this tree as well as others nearby next spring.  The treatments that I have seen so far are insecticides that get absorbed into the trees to help them fight off EAB.  I am not a fan of pesticides but am willing to compromise if I can save my trees.  They are all 50+ year old trees and not easily replaced. 

Be aware.  Your quick diagnosis of the problem could save a precious tree.

The website found at the link below is an excellent source of information on the EAB.  There are YouTube videos that show how to identify an Ash tree, how to confirm an EAB infestation and how to potentially treat a tree for EAB.

Iowa State University Emerald Ash Borer Webpage

 

Dottie Haley


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...