Monday, February 15, 2021

 

My journey to saying “no” to single use plastic. 

Janice H. Walker

Step 1: Looking for alternative sources for cleaning products that did not use plastic.

Step 1B: For cleaning windows, pots and pans, toilets – this is an easy one.

My mother would say an odor from a cleaning product was “taking her breath away” that she “couldn’t breathe”. The older I get the more like my mother I become. I too am bothered by the fumes of cleaning products and aerosols.

For a while, I have been making my own cleaning products. Make them and store them in a jar or a spray bottle (glass preferred). Some of the products I have had to tweak the mixtures to work. I am still working on the furniture polish; it is a little too oily for me. I even make my own bug spray, for humans or plants.

How this all ties into the single use plastic? Making my own cleaner, using safe products with no chemicals, storing them in glass jars and using my own spray bottle, eliminates the purchase of a plastic bottle of let’s say Windex or a can of Pledge, over and over again. I do admit I still have a couple of heavy-duty plastic spray bottles that I have been using for a while now. Eventually they will make their way into the recycling bin, but not after a single use. Hopefully not until I have been able to get many uses out of them.

A recycled jar is perfect for storing the cleaners. Add a label listing what it is and how to make it, keeps me organized and helps my family find the right cleaner. Since I call all window and surface cleaners “windex” and there isn’t a bottle of “Windex” to be found, this helps stop the confusion. Heaven forbid I should need a q-tip or a kleenix. 😉

               Windows and Surface Cleaner                                   White Vinegar and Water

               Pots and Pans                                                              Lemon Juice and Baking Soda

               Toilets                                                                         White Vinegar and Baking Soda

               Wood Polish                                                                Olive Oil, White Vinegar, Orange oil

Still working on a disinfectant. There are a lot of choices, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, vodka, sunshine. But for now I am going to stick with “Clorox” aka “bleach”, even though it takes my breath away. 😊

Further reading:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/green-cleaning/cleaning-products-for-a-healthy-home-ze0z1809zpop

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a24885/make-at-home-cleaners/

https://wellnessmama.com/6244/natural-cleaning/

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...