Friday, March 17, 2023

Be A Weather Monitor!

 I start each day with a quick trip outside to my rain gauge to check for any precipitation. Then, I log my findings when I get back inside.  Most days, I log a zero, but there are days when we get significant rainfall, or even snow.  It takes me about 6 minutes a day.  This adds up over the year. 

Photo by Kathy Fell - A day with significant rainfall!

March is the recruiting month for CoCoRAHs, the national Community Collaborative Rain Hail and Snow Network. To participate, you need to purchase and install a rain gauge (which is currently on sale for $35!) and install it in a location in an open area.  Use the "Weather Monitoring and Reporting" activity" under "Observe and Report information about Nature".  The CoCoRaHS site has a number of training videos that count for either C.E. or service credit and we have several participating chaptermembers who would love to answer any questions.  Data reported to CoCoRaHS is used by a number of agencies.  Data collected from snow is used to predict spring flooding! 

Hope to see a gauge in your yard soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amphibian Spring - Love In The Rain

By Brian Williams and Dr. Ariana Kuhn  "It’s February, it’s dark, it’s raining – lets go!”    While most humans may prefer a warm fire,...