Sunday, November 15, 2020

Member Report: Pine Siskins

 Ed Coleman submitted this report about Pine Siskins.  I also had a gang of them at my place, pigging out on sunflower seeds. 


What a treat.  About a week before Halloween, a flock of about 20 or so Pine Siskins (Spinus pinus) arrived in my yard and stayed for about 10 days.  Normal range for Pine Siskins is Canada and to a lesser extent northern US states and the higher elevations of the western and northeastern states.   However, during the fall and winter seasons, small nomadic flocks of Pine Siskins make unpredictable movements called irruptions into southern and eastern North America in search of food, migrating from one seed crop to another.     As their name may suggest, Pine Siskins prefer conifer cone seeds and can be observed clinging to the ends of conifer branches, even upside down, to feed on cone seeds.  Forging in very tight flocks, Pine Siskins are gregarious and can dominate back-yard feeders when small seeds such as thistle, nyjer, millet or shelled sunflowers are available. 

So why did they stop in my yard? Well, turns out these little birds were feasting on the seeds of sweet gum balls, which are released around this time of year.  As with conifer cones, these acrobats clung to the sweet gum balls to feed. While I really enjoyed having them around, I’m not sure if I was more excited about observing the Pine Siskins or finally learning that there is a beneficial use for sweet gum balls. 

Photo by Ed Coleman

1 comment:

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...