Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Member Report: Orange Water!

 

Earlier this week, I had an interesting assignment from DRBA.  Someone who lives downstream from me had reported occasionally seeing orange water in the creek.  Checking a map, I noticed there is another creek that joins mine, before feeding into the Smith River.  I walked a short distance up the road to find where this other feeder passes under the road.   I found the culvert.  There were two feeders, a wider creek coming from the left and a very narrow, very orange, creek coming from the right.  What!?

Photo by Kathy Fell


I came back the next day wearing my wading boots and carrying water testing supplies. The water in both creeks was crystal clear, normal pH and free of E.coli.  But, WHY is the creek on the right orange?  I followed the orange creek upstream.  It turned out to be a spring, appearing from underground about 50 ft from the road.  The spring-fed, orange creek was flowing very slowly.  The top surface of the water had a shiny sheen and was covered in orange slime.

Photo by Kathy Fell


Turns out, the orange slime is from a naturally occurring bacteria that oxidizes iron. There is an abandoned iron mine in Fairystone State Park.  We can expect to find a lot of iron in our local soils.  Iron-oxidizing bacteria grows in large colonies in shallow, slow-moving creeks.  Something must be occasionally washing it downstream.   Iron-oxidizing bacteria have been around for millions of years.  It is not a threat to aquatic species.  Occasionally this type of bacteria can get into wells, where it can clog up plumbing.  

If you ever come across an orange creek, don't panic!  Investigate and be amazed by the natural world.   

- Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...