Friday, May 7, 2021

Member Report: Feeding the Birds

 Kathy provided this article on Feeding the Birds: 


I have been feeding birds for years, primarily to lure them closer to the window to watch. Over the years, I have tried different types of food and different types of feeders and paid close attention to who ate what.  

I started with seed mixes and discovered that the birds would toss everything but the sunflower seeds on the ground.  A few ground feeding birds would pick through the rejects, but the mess mostly attracted mammals.  I have seen squirrel, opossum, ground hog, raccoon, rabbit, fox, deer and many a field mouse attracted to the rejects.  I gave up on mixes and switched to black oil sunflower seed.  Black oil sunflower seed is a high energy food that is preferred by many species of birds. 

I put the sunflower seed in a caged tube feeder.  Even the Red Breasted Woodpecker figured out how to get its head inside far enough to grab a seed.  Still, for every sunflower seed pulled out of the tube, several more fell on the ground.  I convinced myself that platform feeders have less spillage, though they are more easily raided by squirrels.  We will not discuss my springtime war with the squirrels. Just know that a garden hose on “jet” was involved. 

Recently, I read that squirrels do not like safflower seed, but many species of birds do.   I bought a bag to investigate.  I put out black oil sunflower seed and safflower seed and watched.  Most of the birds would not consider the safflower seed until all the sunflower seed was gone, but then they ate it all.   


Photo by Kathy Fell- Feeder types: Squirrel proof cage (too much spillage), Wire cage (Bluebirds don't like), Small dish (Bingo!)


I tried luring bluebirds closer with “Bluebird nuggets”, but they never came.  I had put the nuggets in a wire mesh feeder.  When I tried using a small hanging dish-shaped feeder, they came!  Turns out, the bluebirds prefer a platform feeder.

Last year, I tried peanuts for the first time.  I put black oil sunflower seed and peanuts in a small dish feeder.  The peanuts disappeared first.  Once they were all gone, the birds started in on the sunflower seed. Even bluebirds like peanuts. 


Photo by Kathy Fell: Bluebird enjoying peanuts and bluebird nuggets 

From a food perspective, I settled on peanuts (15 lb. bag), Bluebird nuggets (8 lb. box), Black Oil Sunflower Seed (40 lb. bag), and Safflower seed (7 lb. bag).  I serve it up with an occasional block of suet in small dish feeders during the Feeder Watch season, which runs from November to April.  This seems to provide something for everyone with minimal waste and discourages unwanted nighttime visitors.

But what about the summer?  Should we continue to feed the birds over the summer?

Since moving to Virginia, I have been visited by an occasional bear passing through.  I saw my first bear in 2010.  They come for my serviceberries, blackberries and other native fruits which are only ripe for a short time.  They will also discover any bird seed, hummingbird nectar or pet food left outside. To discourage frequent visits by bears, the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) recommends removing all food sources that might attract bears from April to November, which is when the Feeder Watch program is not running.  How convenient.

Photo by Kathy Fell: Bears like sugar water!

Every year, the little birds look so disappointed after I take down the feeders.  Last year, I tried a different approach.  I took down the feeder station at the end of the FeederWatch season and moved one small feeder to the deck.  The birds quickly found it.  Then, I started putting food out on the deck rail.  The bluebirds would come by, grab a peanut, and take it straight to the birdhouse, which was full of hungry babies.  That can’t be good! 

At a recent webinar, I learned that baby birds require carotenoids for proper development.  Adult birds and humans also require carotenoids.  We get them from fruits and vegetables. These essential antioxidants are not found in peanuts, bird seed, bluebird nuggets or mealworms. Birds get carotenoids from leaf-eating caterpillars.  

I have finally settled on an approach to summer food supplement for the birds at my place. Now that the trees are all leafed out, there should be plenty of caterpillars out there.  I sprinkle a small amount of sunflower and safflower seed on the deck rail in the morning.  The seed, about a quarter cup total, attracts many species of birds to the deck for breakfast.  It usually lasts for 3 to 4 hours before it is all gone.  This seems like a nice compromise to me.  I get to enjoy my feathers visitors first thing in the morning.  Then, the birds go looking for bugs and caterpillars for the rest of the day.  There is not enough food to interest a bear for long.  If a bear does come by, DWR recommends no food out at all for 3 to 4 weeks.  


Photo by Kathy Fell: Summer Breakfast Buffet for the birds. Note there is a titmouse at the far end of the buffet. 



 Photo by Kathy Fell: Finch customer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...