Friday, August 13, 2021

Member Photo: Rose pinks

 Submitted by Kathy Fell

On one of my recent walks about the gardens, I spotted a splash of pink.  I noticed one or two of these plants a few years ago and tried to remember not to “weed out” the plant after seeds had set.  I was hoping it would spread around.  I looked it up and found it to be Sabitia angularis; commonly known as Rose Pink.  This is one of the plants featured in the up-coming “Native Plants for Virginia’s Southern Piedmont” guide.

 

Photo by Kathy Fell: Sabatia anagularis (Rose Pink)

Rose Pinks are a biennial, which explains why they are always in a different spot in the garden each year. The plant forms a low rosette the first year.  The second year, it grows between 1 and 3 ft tall.  Bright pink to white flowers bloom from May to September.   Rose Pinks are native across the Southern Piedmont and most of Virginia.  Naturally found in open woods, fields, and meadows, they tolerate a wide range of light and moisture conditions.   The nectar attracts butterflies and other insects.  The deer have left mine alone.  

Rose Pinks are a Larval host plant for the Short-lined Chocolate moth (Argyrostrotis anilis). Check iNaturalist for a photo here.   I found a photo of the caterpillar here.   These caterpillars also feed on native plums, native crab apples, and native hawthorns.

I'll be sure to collect the seeds and spread them around for more splashes of pink in two years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...