Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Photo of the day: Orb Weaver Spider

 

Neoscona crucifera

By Kathy Fell

 

Walking into spider webs gives me the creeps.  This past week, I went out behind the breezeway and was shocked to find a spider web spanning across the 10 ft patio.  Lucky for me, I spotted it before walking into the thing.  The clever spider left me safe passage to the breezeway door, so I let her keep her hunting ground.  But what spider made that massive web? I looked around the house and found two more smaller, but similar webs.  

Photo by Kathy Fell: Smaller web of a neighboring spider

That evening I went out in the dark of night, sporting a headlamp.  I spotted a very large spider making repairs to her very large web.  The top anchor point to the south is on the gutters and to the north is on a dogwood tree.  The top of the web is about 5 ft. off the ground.  I tried to take a picture, but she was working so quickly, my camera could not freeze the action.  I took mental notes and went to check the internet.  I identified the spider as Neoscona crucifera.  I found multiple common names: Spotted orb weaver, Heinz orb weaver, arboreal orb weaver and barn spider.  

Photo by Kathy Fell: Spider trying to look small


I checked on my spider friend the next day and discovered her enjoying a cicada for breakfast. When I approached with my camera, she scurried off to the safety of the dogwood tree.  I got a photo of her trying to look small, hiding on a leaf.  Later, I was able to get a picture of her finishing off her meal and submitted it to iNaturalist. 

Photo by Kathy Fell: Cicada for breakfast

This orb weaver is common across half of the US, generally nocturnal and most often sighted in the fall.  

Range map from https://spidersinohio.net/its-that-time-of-year-again/


I found out where my spider friend hides out during the day; rolled up inside a dogwood leaf tied shut with a little spider silk.

Photo by Kathy Fell: Do not disturb the sleeping spider.... 


All spiders have venom which they use to paralyze their prey.  The venom of this shy spider is not considered to be toxic to humans, but they will leave a mark.  It is always best to be respectful of our spider neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...