Friday, April 29, 2022

Member Report: Birds, Beetles and More

 This article was submitted by Dottie Haley


Birds, Beetles and More

 

Spring – is it finally here?  Even though the calendar proclaimed the beginning of Spring several weeks ago, it certainly hasn’t felt like it with the subfreezing temperatures and even some snow.  I have a more predictable proclamation that Spring has finally arrived - the Blue birds have finally begun to lay their eggs.  Although we humans are often fooled by those first few days of warmer weather, the Blue birds know when we are not yet done with Winter and hold off of laying their eggs until we are.  Amazing! 

I have also been amazed by another bird this year.  I am an early riser and typically leave for work at 6:30.   Recently, I have been greeted by the sounds of a Northern Mockingbird as soon as my door opens.  In awe, I have to stop and listen to this skilled musician.  I have seen a pair on my suet feeder so I suspect they are nesting in my yard.  Each morning, the male perches high up in a tree just outside my front door and sings a melody taking only short breaks to make his way further up the tree. 

 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Mockingbird/overview


“A study released in October 2019 found that, in addition to mimicking the calls of other birds and man-made noises like music and machinery, Northern Mockingbirds have been known to imitate at least 12 different species of North American frogs and toads. In fact, John James Audubon was so in awe of this bird's singing ability, he wrote of the Northern Mockingbird in Birds of America,” “There is probably no bird in the world that possesses all the musical qualifications of this king of song, who has derived all from Nature's self." “

https://www.audubon.org/news/10-fun-facts-about-northern-mockingbird

 

Male Hummingbird
    
Last weekend, I was happy to see that the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds have returned to the area.  It doesn’t seem possible that these very small creatures go all the way to Costa Rica or Panama to winter but come right back to my feeder when they return to Virginia.  Again, I am amazed.  

 


Female Hummingbird
   


https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby-throated_Hummingbird/overview

 

Male Bluebird
I’m a big fan of birds and have feeders and water sources available hoping to attract them into my yard.  I am a little concerned based on some bird activity that I have recently observed.  In the last few weeks, I have seen Blue birds and a male Blue Grosbeak on my feeders for the first time ever.  Although I love to see them eating from my feeders, does this new behavior indicate that the insect’s arrival was delayed this year? 

 



Female Bluebird

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/lifehistory

 

Male Grosbeak

 

Female Grosbeak

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/lifehistory

I have also witnessed new eating habits of some Pileated Woodpeckers.  I have seen them at my suet feeder for the first time ever and unfortunately, I fear that my actions are to blame.  Over the last 2 to 3 years, my property has been severely impacted by the Emerald Ash Borer.  The stand of trees between my house and my neighbor’s house was made up of a large percentage of Ash trees.  I never paid much attention to what kind of trees they were until they started dying.  It was a painful decision, but there was no choice.  This Winter, we ended up having to get 9 dead Ash trees cut down.  They were very tall trees that would have damaged someone’s house if they had fallen.  We had one fall before we could have it cut down during some strong wind.  Thankfully, it fell into the woods but took parts of other healthy trees down with it.  I am a big fan of insects but not this one.  I am sure the Woodpeckers now devouring my suet cakes were feasting on the Emerald Ash Borer larvae inside of all of those dead trees. I will also have to suffer the consequences of the loss of the shade and shield that the trees were providing for our home.  

 

Female Pileated Woodpecker  

Male Pileated Woodpecker
 

 https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pileated_Woodpecker/overview

 

Emerald Ash Borer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

 

https://leafyplace.com/ash-tree-types-bark-and-leaves/

 

It has been a good reminder for me of the delicate balance that exists in nature.  I see the impact that having my dead trees cut down had on the small ecosystem in my yard and cringe to think of the impacts of mass deforestation on the environment.  On a brighter note, I am so glad to be a part of the Master Naturalist program.  That’s what we are all about.  Doing what we can to protect our environment and teaching others to do the same.  Thanks for all that you do.  I appreciate you all Fellow Naturalists!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...