Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Spring has Sprung!

 

Spring has Sprung!   I decided to take a closer look around and check out the signs of spring in my yard.  As I enjoyed a little sun in my chair on the deck, I heard a cardinal.  I spotted him in the willow tree celebrating the day with a long and complex song.   He is a frequent visitor to my feeder.  I heard a lot of other birds too.  A carpenter bee flew up and buzzed about 3 ft from my face.  I see carpenter bees every year guarding the deck.  They usually hover over the stairs.  I heard a rustling in some dry leaves behind a planter and out scurried a pair of Five-lined skinks.  Later, a fence lizard joined me in soaking up some sun.  Around the yard I could see the pink flowers of redbud and creeping phlox.  On a short walk-about I spotted the first butterfly of the year and native violets and wood poppies in bloom. The dogwoods are getting ready to boom.  A check in the bluebird box revealed a partially constructed nest.  Looks like it is time to start logging observations for Nest Watch!

What are your favorite signs of spring in your yard?

Photo by Kathy Fell: Fence Lizard, basking in the sun

Photo by Kathy Fell: Cercis canadensis (Redbud) 

Photo by Kathy Fell: Phlox subulata (Creeping Phlox)



Photo by Kathy Fell: Stylophorum diphylllum (Wood Poppy)

Photo by Kathy Fell: Violet

Photo by Kathy Fell: Tiger Swallowtail


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...