Monday, September 12, 2022

Photo of the day: Neoscona crucifera

 It is that time of year again when the orb weavers come out of hiding.  My first encounter this fall was on the way to check the rain gauge.  I started down the deck stairs and came to an abrupt halt.  There was a giant spider web about a foot from my face.  The spider had anchored one side on the stair rail to my right and the other side on a tree to my left.  Yes, there was a giant spider waiting in the middle.  I calmly backed up and found another way to get to the rain gauge. 

These orb weavers are nocturnal, but like to hang out in the center of their webs on fall mornings.  Looking around, I found another massive web across the sliding glass door to my bedroom. This one had a smaller (male) spider hanging out on the edge.  I came back later and found she had "invited" him for lunch.  She tossed the too-crunchy parts when she was done.....

Photo by Kathy Fell: Spotted Orb weaver and her lunch date....

Learn more about the orb weaver here: https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/spiders/neoscona.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pollinator Week 2024

I have been working with European honey bees for almost 13 years now. Some of the things that I love the most are the challenges that presen...